Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Derek's birthday

 We had a fun day with Derek, Shelby and Zoe today. I've been wanting to visit Silver Lake up Big Cottonwood Canyon for years. Mom and Dad used to go up there quite often and Greg fishes there as well. It sounded like a fun place to visit in the fall. Since it was Derek's birthday we invited them along and took a picnic.  Doug even made a yummy almond cake for the occasion.
Shelby asked if I'd take family pictures of them since I had a "fancy" camera. I told her that a fancy camera did not a photographer make but I'd do my best. I think I ended up taking about 70 shots and there were a few that worked out okay. The lighting wasn't the best and Zoe definitely didn't want to pose and smile but it was still fun.
Shelby dressed Zoe up in the beautiful dress that the Ostlers brought back from Scotland for her. Such a beautiful dress that she'll only be able to wear a few times before she outgrows it. That's why Shelby wanted some pictures taken with Zoe wearing it.
I think the area would be stunning in a wet year when the colors are more vibrant but it was still a beautiful setting. Shelby said she's been there in the spring and the lake is about twice the size as it was today. I really want to go back in the spring. Derek said that the hills just beyond there at Brighton ski resort are covered with wildflowers in the spring and I'd love to go up and photograph them. I'm a better flower/door/building photographer than a people photographer!
There's a boardwalk nearly all the way around the lake (which is why mom and dad would go up there to walk) and so it was easy walking and a nice walk to enjoy the beauties of nature without having to overdo it. I'm not in shape right now so this was perfect for me.  It was a really fun day with family!



No comments: