After more than three weeks of a very busy work schedule it felt rather nice to have a few days off. I had declared last Friday a "mental health day" and so wouldn't have worked anyway but it worked out. Doug and I decided to go to Farmington Bay Bird Refuge and explore. They have a brand new education center that had only been open for three days. Unfortunately we saw very few birds and it was rather hot with smoky/hazy skies from all the wildfires surrounding us so we didn't stay long. We'll go back when the weather cools and maybe will have better luck birding. We went to Station Park and had some lunch and then went to see a movie (an annual event for us) and saw Christopher Robin. It was cute and poignant and we really enjoyed it.
Saturday I still didn't have work so decided to start on a new quilt for the twin bed in my office/spare room. I didn't realize that some of the fabric pieces had snowflakes printed on them so I may be making another quilt next year for the summer months but by the time I finish this one there will probably be snow on the ground so it will be appropriate! Notwithstanding the snowflakes I love the fabric and the colors. I had purchased some yarn about three years ago to make an afghan and never got around to it. Imagine my surprise when I realized that the yarns matched my new fabric very well. And then today while working on the quilt I remembered that I had purchased a purple wall hanging kit about five years ago. I dug it out, it's also done with batik fabrics and the colors match perfectly. It was all meant to be. I need to get busy and finish up my purple room!
Yesterday afternoon we were able to Face Time with Chad, Anney and Finley. That did my heart good. I'm still missing that little boy something fierce and it's good to see his sweet face and watch his silly antics. Once again I'm grateful for technology!
A few weeks ago Trudy Cragun (a sweet German sister in our ward) approached me and said she had a "doily" she'd like me to have. She knows that I love all things handmade, that I have German ancestry, and that I loved our trips to Germany. Her accent is still so thick after all these years in America (and thickens up even more after her annual trip back home) and it's fun to talk to her. Anyway, yesterday she brought me two beautiful Hardanger pieces. I was flabbergasted! They're gorgeous. She said one of her relatives made them but Trudy has so many she wanted to share. Wow! The ecru one is a table topper and is about 30" square. The pink one is especially beautiful and is about 13". I think I'm going to have the pink one framed. It's so delicate and I don't want it to get dusty. I can hang it in my purple room since I have touches of pink in all the batik fabrics.





No comments:
Post a Comment