Friday, September 21, 2018

Crafty

  Jerri and I escaped for a while today and went to the  Utah Quilt Guild show at the Davis Conference Center in Layton. I've never been to this one before. We had a great time in the vendor's area. The area is about an eighth of the size of the one in SLC in May but we still had fun looking. One of the first stops was at a pottery booth. I'd read three of the author's books (multi-talented man who is an author as well as a potter) and so was interested to see his pottery. I found a great magnetic pin bowl that read "I quilt so I don't kill people." Oh, so true. I also bought a larger bowl; not sure what I'll do with it but I couldn't resist. It had a portion of an Alfred Tennyson poem on it along with flowers and it made me think of my mom quoting me Tennyson so I had to have it. Other than that we spent a lot of time at a booth selling rulers to do quilting on home machines. It was fascinating and Jerri bought a bunch but I'd already spent my money. If it's something she likes (we both played with them a bit there and they were fun) I may get some later. I'd really like to be able to do some quilting on my own machine, especially since I bought the new one with the big throat for that purpose. We didn't want to pay the $5.00 fee to see the 40 or so quilts (especially since we could see several without paying the fee...) but there were some beautiful ones to inspire me.  Jerri had made us matching owl bags and many of the quilters there commented on them. 
I'm trying to get my purple batik quilt put together to put on the bed in my office/spare room. I've got about 30 of 80 blocks done and up on the design wall. I think I'm going to replace some of the lighter ones though with some darker pieces from my stash. I think I'm going to call it Shadow Play!
I'm also working on a crocheted afghan to go in the room. I have way too many hobbies and not enough time to do them all, but it's nice to always have a project to work on. I guess I'm too much like mom that way. She always had a bad case of "startitis" and I think it's an inherited trait!

No comments: