Friday was Universal Studios day. We had planned on leaving around 8AM since it was quite a distance away but Shelby had been sick all night and we held off for a bit to see how she was feeling. She just didn't look good but didn't want to spoil the fun for everyone. She finally agreed that she should stay home and Derek decided to stay with her to take care of her and see how she was doing later in the day. Matt called a Lyft and the four of us had a long, silent ride to Hollywood. The driver was polite but didn't seem to speak English. Doug sat in the front with him while Matt, Sherlyn and I squeezed into a too small back seat. It was a long ride. There was lots of traffic and construction and it took about 90 minutes to get there. We were on the way when Anney texted and said that they decided not to fight the traffic and were going to go to the beach and then just start their drive home instead of staying one more night. I was sad that we didn't get to tell them goodbye but at the same time I wasn't surprised at their decision and didn't blame them. There really wasn't a lot to do there for kids and I'm sure Anney was ready to be back home in a normal routine with the two little boys.
As soon as we got our tickets we headed to the Harry Potter section of the park (really the only reason Matt and I wanted to go). We were giddy as schoolchildren and it was pretty neat. Doug doesn't know the stories so didn't get quite as excited as we did but he was a good sport. We got in line for the ride. It was about a 40 minute line but naturally I started feeling ill while standing in line so it was a very, very long wait for me. The ride was fun but the displays in the castle were better and I would've enjoyed them more had I felt better. We decided to have an early lunch after that and so ate at the Three Broomsticks with Matt and Sherlyn. We had to try Butter Beer which is spoken of often in the books. I had a potato leek soup which was really good and settling to my stomach. After lunch we headed different directions. Doug and I walked through the candy store and found some things he wanted to take back to his coworkers. I found a pumpkin pasty that I needed (also talked about in the books). I was sad that there were no treacle tarts though.
Derek called and said that he was coming with Zoë so that Shelby could get some rest since she was still sick. We met him and then took Zoë so he could go do things with Matt and Sherlyn. We took her to the children's play area where she had fun on the playground. She saw the "whee!" so of course we had to take her on that. After that we took her to the trained animal show and then met up with the others. Doug watched her while I went back on the ride with Matt, Sherlyn and Derek since I was feeling better and would be able to enjoy it more. Doug and I went to a special effect show that was interesting and then we all met up again at a pizza place to get some dinner before heading back. The ride home was long again and we were tired and glad to finally reach Santa Ana.





No comments:
Post a Comment