The annual Christmas concert with the Tabernacle Choir is always something I look forward to. It's a hard/busy week for Doug with rehearsals every night except Monday. The last several years I've gone to the Saturday night concert. That way we can get a hotel in downtown SLC and spend the night there so Doug can make one less trip to the city. He had to be there close to 1PM this year so the plan was to park the vehicle and then I would wander City Creek until I could check into the room. I felt awful all morning with stomach problems and wasn't looking forward to that 2-3 hours but when we went in to get the parking validation they told us our room was ready early and we could check in. That was a blessing! Doug helped carry things up to the room and then left for his rehearsal/filming. I laid down for well over an hour until I started to feel better. I finally felt human so walked over to Blue Lemon and bought a plate of hummus/veggies and spinach artichoke dip/pita bread. It was delicious and hit the spot. I wandered over to Harmon's and got some groceries for breakfast Sunday morning. I wanted to find a Christmas dress for Zoe while I was in town but nothing jumped out at me and I really wasn't feeling 100% yet so gave up on that idea fairly early. Went back to the hotel room, pulled out my crocheting and watched "White Christmas" until Derek and Shelby arrived. They brought food from Olive Garden for us. The bowl of soup was perfect and tasted so good. We walked over to the Conference Center and arrived an hour before the performance started but knew that the tickets had sold out and wanted to get there early to get through the security lines and find a good seat in our section. I had a bit of a run-in with a very ornery usher who wouldn't allow me to sit in an aisle seat ("everyone wants an aisle seat, everyone has a sore knee, you can't sit there!") He was really out of line with not only me but several others (including Greg and Kathy) and I was pretty upset for the first half of the concert until I calmed down enough to enjoy myself (which was also hard with a cramped and sore knee....) Anyway, the guest artist was Kristen Chenoweth and she was a 4'11" bundle of energy. She was delightful. Her vocal range was huge and she sang several different styles of music and it was a lovely concert. I was glad that Derek and Shelby came and sat by me too. I've attended myself before but it was more fun to have them there. This is Doug's last Christmas concert before he retires in April. He will have been in choir for 12 years. It's been a blessing and will be bittersweet when it's over.

No comments:
Post a Comment