Headed back to Charlotte since we fly home tomorrow. We didn't really have any plans for the day so got online to see what kinds of things there were to do in the area. We found a fabric shop and visited it but I didn't buy anything since I have enough fabric to last well beyond this life but it was fun to see different prints and patterns that related to the area. We discovered that the birthplace of James K. Polk was in the area and there was a free museum so off we went. Doug is a history and museum buff so it seemed like a good idea. It was a beautiful setting in Pineville, North Carolina. We were on the actual land where he had been born but none of the original buildings had survived so the ones we toured were cabins from the same time period that had been moved to this location. The young volunteer was glad to have someone to take around and it was fun to learn a little bit more about life in the past. There was an old graveyard that we visited as well with some fascinating carved headstones.

We were both interested when we saw a creation with corncobs hooked to a board with a handle. I was trying to figure out if it was a broom but the brooms were made from straw. The volunteer said it was a mop and that the dry corncobs absorbed the water very well. Ingenious!
On the way back to the hotel we passed a farm stand/store and decided to stop. Wow, I'm glad we did. They had boiled peanuts so we bought a bag and sat in the car and ate them. So yummy! I'd love to try and make them at home but I don't think I can find green, unripe peanuts anywhere in Utah. We also found some peach ice cream. We learned on this trip that South Carolina is the second largest producer of peaches in the country, behind California.
Tomorrow it's up early to head to the airport and back home to ruts and reality. It's been a wonderful trip and I always love spending time with my best friend, seeing new things and just enjoying being together!
No comments:
Post a Comment