Friday, April 13, 2018

Long week, great day

Doug had to work all day Thursday, and then head straight to choir, so Finley came to play today instead. It was cold and windy outside for most of the day but the sun was shining so we were able to spend a little time outside looking for elephants in the backyard, "Grandma, your hair can be the elephant because it's gray!" We also uncovered the sandbox and he dug in there for a bit. The most exciting part of the day for Finley was the pizza delivery guy! I let him help me order the pizza online and then we watched its progress until it was on its way. An excited boy stood on the couch peering out the window and anxiously awaiting the pizza. He was cute and it was fun. Simple things can bring so much joy. He cracked us up when we were eating lunch. I got a couch cushion to sit on to help with my pain and Finley exclaimed, "I need a cushion too because I have a cough like Grandma!" He didn't understand why we started laughing until I explained that the cushion wasn't for my cough.  Such a cute kid!



The long part of the week started Monday morning. After being down with a cold and cough for a couple weeks I felt ready to start exercising yet again. The boys hauled my stationary bike downstairs for me and brought my treadmill into the sun room from the garage where it never got used. So, I got in the treadmill, read my scriptures, and started watching a movie. I was cruising along and feeling quite good when I got the harebrained idea to open the window next to me....while still walking in the treadmill. Well, suffice it to say that didn't turn out well. To make matters worse I wasn't wearing the safety clip and so was blindly slapping at buttons to try and turn the darn thing off while I was flailing around. I'm sure I was quite the sight. I still don't know how I didn't crack my head open on the brick wall behind me. Anyway, I felt an excruciating pain in my upper leg/buttock and twisted my back and leg badly. That started a very long and painful week. It was a haze of pain pills, muscle relaxants and lots and lots of recliner time for several days. Doug had to work a lot this week and it stressed him to leave me alone but I didn't wander far from the recliner so it was okay. It helped so much when he rented a walker for me. I was in such pain and so unsteady that even trips to the bathroom were scary. Things are healing well though and today I didn't need the walker at all and have been able to make one step at a time trips up and down the stairs. Sitting is still quite painful and I'm having difficulty resting because of the pain but that continues to improve too. I feel like such a klutz, but am also grateful that my injuries weren't worse. Doug has been so helpful and doing so much for me. He cooked again tonight and made delicious chicken cordon bleu in the Dutch oven. He's a keeper!


I've had an idea percolating in my head for a while and I finally ran it by Doug this afternoon and the kids tonight. I want to take a family trip to Disneyland and the beach next May after Doug's choir retirement and before Derek and Shelby move away. The dream had been Florida but that's just not going to happen.   Too many dental bills, home repair bills, etc. We can make California work though and I'm excited! I love being able to plan and look forward to a trip and time with my whole family is precious to me!

No comments: