Thursday, April 15, 2010

Civil War fabrics

My latest passion is collecting Civil War prints. I've done a complete turnabout regarding them. I used to think they were too busy and I couldn't fathom using them. Sometimes I still struggle putting so much "busy-ness" in a quilt top, but once it is together I love it. I love to think about the women who made quilts in the past. They didn't get to go to the fabric store and spend hours picking out the perfect combination of fabrics. They used a little bit of this and a little bit of that, whatever they had, and produced some wonderful works of art. They pieced blocks as fabric became available and when they had enough blocks they put them together into a quilt top. I've enjoyed finding reproduction prints to use. This is my latest pile. Aren't they wonderful?


This is my design wall showing some of the blocks I've completed. I wish I could say that I'm true to the past and hand sew my blocks, but I don't. I love my Pfaff too much!



No comments: