Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Partially finished top


This is a block of the month project that I started 7-8 years ago. It was only the second quilt I attempted and I'm surprised that some of the blocks didn't scare me away from quilting forever. The instructions were very poorly written and so much cutting and sewing was done on the bias. Now I know that there are easier ways to make most of the blocks but I didn't know that then. I was going to redo some of the wonkier blocks that I'd already finished but decided to keep them as is; it's good to see the learning curve. 


I didn't buy all the fabrics I needed at the time and now, of course, that fabric line is long gone. 

I bought this piece for the border and backing.  The colors are all there as well as the sunflowers. There are sunflowers in each of the prints from the original line. It's a beautiful piece of fabric but when I got it home and put it next to the blocks it just wasn't right. 


It's way too busy for my tastes. Now I'm on a quest to find something simple for the borders and backing, perhaps just a tone on tone brown or tan. I'd love to find the ones from the line but I don't think that's going to happen. 


I just love the deep brown in this line; Kansas Song by Susan Winget.


No comments: