Monday, May 31, 2010

America, The Beautiful


I finally framed this today. It somehow seemed appropriate as today is Memorial Day. I began this project in June of 2009 while sitting in Cincinnati in the nearly empty Riverbend Music Center listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Cincinnati Pops under the direction of the great Erich Kunzel rehearse several patriotic numbers in preparation for a concert that evening. My heart thrilled as the beautiful strains of "America the Beautiful" filled that venue. What a marvelous experience it was to be there in a beautiful setting listening to glorious music performed by a world-reknown choir and and an amazing orchestra. I began stitching as they rehearsed "America the Beautiful" along with "God Bless America" and an armed forces medley. I still get goosebumps when I remember the thrill of that first concert and the tears that welled in my eyes as members of the different armed forces stood tall as "their" song was performed.
I learned on that trip how truly beautiful America is as we traveled to St. Louis, Missouri; Cincinnati, Ohio; Des Moines, Iowa; Kansas City, Missouri; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; and Denver, Colorado before home to Utah. I appreciated the freedoms that allowed us to travel as we wished and I so enjoyed seeing the beauty of this great land.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Beautiful! I love it and the frame goes perfectly. What a perfect day to finish it. :)

Amy said...

Lovely finish, and what a great trip that must have been. We traveled from the east coast to the west coast & back again when I was a teenager and saw some beautiful places.