Saturday, July 20, 2019

Moon Lake 2019


This year we spent July 15-18 at my happy place with Chad and his family and Derek and his family. Matt and Sherlyn weren’t able to come this year and we missed them. It’s been a very long time since all the boys were at Moon Lake at the same time! Between the hundreds of pictures I took and the hundreds of pictures Shelby took, along with a few dozen from Chad and Anney (who were too busy with two little boys to take many pictures) it’s hard to choose a handful to sum up the fun we had.




The initial plan was to strap the kayaks on top of the bins in the back of the truck but two days before we left I just didn’t feel good about that so we went ahead and rented a trailer from U-Haul again. I’m glad we did. There was SO much stuff to haul this year. With Chad and Anney flying in from Arizona and not being able to bring stuff with them, and with Derek and Shelby’s stuff in storage, I had to make sure I had bedding, towels, pots and pans, etc for all three cabins, plus a lot of food.  That filled up a lot of bins!


We got all packed up on Monday morning but then ended up leaving at different times instead of traveling in a caravan there. Derek and Shelby wanted to stop in Spanish Fork and look at a vehicle there that they were thinking of buying so they went through Provo canyon. Chad and Anney wanted to make sure that Ari got in a good nap before they strapped him into the car so they stayed at the house to have some lunch before heading out.

Since we got away so late (around noon) I didn’t want to stop and eat like we usually do because I was antsy to get up to my mountains so Doug and I just stopped and got a sandwich from Subway on the way and kept driving. We arrived at the lodge around 4:00 and got checked in. I immediately dug through bins and found the crock pot so I could get the chili heating for dinner. I ended up heating it on the stove and then putting it in the crockpot to stay warm for dinner. It was our night to cook and I had chili along with hot dogs, sausages, raw veggies, watermelon and stuff for s’mores.


Everyone had arrived by about 5:30 so we had some time before Doug got the fire going for dinner. It was fun to watch the kids. Of course Ari was not impressed but Finley loves Moon Lake as much as I do I think and was thrilled to be back. (He loves it so much that he asked for a Moon Lake birthday cake for his 3rd birthday and Chad made a really cute cabin complete with a campfire and a roasting stick with a marshmallow on it on top of his cake). He, of course, wanted Grandpa to go exploring with him while Zoë likewise wanted Grandpa to be with her. Doug was in his element with those cute kids.

Since we were only staying three nights we really only had two days to play but we managed to fit a lot into those two days. Doug took a kayak out twice and I know the kids all did too. One afternoon while Finley was waiting for Chad to get back from a hike and take him kayaking, Derek and Shelby got in the waist high water and put the two kids in the kayak and pushed them back and forth. They had fun.



I took Ari both afternoons for his bottle and nap (he’ll only nap when he’s being held...reminds me of his big brother) so that Chad, Anney and Finley could take the kayaks out together.  I was in heaven snuggling that sweet sleeping baby on my lap, sitting on the porch of the cabin in my favorite place in the world. I can’t explain it but I feel peace at Moon Lake that I don’t feel anywhere else. It wasn’t the same kind of trip we’ve had in years past with three grandchildren wanting attention and keeping us busy but it was still a wonderful time.  I had started to pack two books and a project and Doug smiled and told me not to bother because I’d just get frustrated. He was right. I didn’t have time to read or sew but I had time to play with my grandchildren, talk to my boys, walk with my daughters-in-law,  stroll with my husband, and just breathe.



Unfortunately Derek had commitments in Centerville with a play that he was doing music direction for so he had to drive back to civilization on Tuesday afternoon and come back on Wednesday morning/noon.  Shelby got Zoë asleep in the cabin next door and brought over the baby monitor (such nifty creations) so we could keep an eye on her and then Anney came over after the boys were in bed and we played games and laughed.


Chad and Anney had to leave very early (like 3:30AM) on Thursday morning in order to catch their flight in Provo so they went to bed quite early on Wednesday. I had promised Finley a special treat that night though so after dinner I pulled out the sugar cones, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, etc so he could make a s’mores cone. He loved it and ate every bite! The other two nights he just ate his marshmallows, chocolate and crackers separately but he loved everything melted together in a cone. After that family went to bed Derek and Shelby came over so we could play games again.


Thursday morning came too quickly for me. I'm never ready to leave Moon Lake. We had to take our traditional walk down to the beach so I could say goodbye. It's silly really, but I always get a little teary-eyed when we have to leave. I'm glad that Doug understands and humors me.


Until next time!

No comments: