Monday, April 8, 2019

Conference Weekend

And a busy weekend it has been. Derek, Shelby and Zoe came up to spend Saturday with us and “watch” conference. There’s only so much watching that goes on with a toddler around but luckily all the talks will be aavailable to view and or read within a day or two. I remember having little ones and not getting much out of conference. I’ve been spoiled the last few years to be here all alone in my quiet house and to really be able to focus on the speakers and get some great insights. After the afternoon session Doug and went to get Pho (Vietnamese soup that Doug loves and Derek doesn’t love but he’s too nice to tell his dad that so...) and then they went over to the Stake Center for their Priesthood Meeting.  The girls meanwhile headed to Hibachi House in Clinton where Zoe enjoyed fried rice, white rice, potstickers, veggies, and some of mom’s shrimp.  She loved the restaurant because they had the large round hanging Chinese lanterns and Zoe kept pointing at them and saying loudly, “ball-ball!”

 Today was great. Conference was wonderful and several talks touched my heart. I sobbed like a child during President Nelson's talk about families and the afterlife. His one phrase "what about my family?" echoed in my mind over and over. What about my family? I keep praying and hoping and then praying more that someday we'll all be back on the same path. I love my family more than anything and can't imagine being separated from them by more than mere miles.
I loved being able to crochet to keep my hands busy so that my mind could fully concentrate on the messages. I loved when Elder Renlund talked about his association with Michael Holmes, a former area authority who happened to be my Stake President in Murray when I was a youth. It was great to hear more of the background about that great man.

This was Doug's last conference to sing in and what a bittersweet experience that was. He had to remain focused and stoic and so I cried through every song for him. Choir has been a 12 year whirlwind with lots of different experiences but conferences have always been Doug's favorite part of the experience and I was grateful today as I watched him sing for the spirit that has brought into our home.

There were several talks yesterday and today about having our home a Christ centered and learning environment and there were several references to the home as being the family history center. Well, that's true. I got an email from Mirka on Friday that she had found Marcin Bugaj's birth record (he is our common ancestor). I was so excited to hear from her and thought immediately that I would run down to SLC on Monday and look up the record. Well, after those talks I pulled out my iPad and sure enough, was able to access those same records from home. What a miracle technology can be!

We've been missing our Finley something fierce so had a nice long FaceTime chat with him and his mom and dad tonight. He had so many things to tell us; it was adorable! He wanted to read us the book that he got in his project box so he went through it page by page showing us the pictures and telling us the story, almost word for word. You can tell his mom and dad have read it to him a few times. He's growing and learning so fast. It's hard to be away but I'm so grateful for the technology that allows these glimpses into their home and family.

Shelby's family had an early Easter celebration at Zoe's great-grandma's house so she went me some cute pictures of baby girl. What a doll she is!




No comments: