
After 12 years with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, now known as The Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square, Doug has sung his last note and has retired. What a bittersweet day this has been! It's been a whirlwind of experiences over 12 years. I'm grateful that he was able to live out a dream because how many people really get to experience one of their lifelong dreams? It was a pleasure to support him in his service even though the hours were long and he was gone a lot. Most people think of choir participation as singing in General Conference (some don't even know about the weekly Sunday morning broadcasts) and figure that's the sum of it. Not so, it's been very busy, very tiring, and service to the Lord in every way. We've been able to travel together on six summer tours which was a blessing and I got to experience firsthand the joy that the choir brought to people out of the Salt Lake Valley. I watched over and over as tears streamed down the faces of those listening in Kansas, New York, Colorado, Virginia, British Columbia, Belgium, Germany and countless other places. I saw the choir as a tangible link to the heart of the church for many members of the church outside the Salt Lake valley. It's been a blessing and now it's time to move on to different adventures.





It was a small miracle that I felt well enough to leave early and be at the Tabernacle by 8AM to get a seat for the broadcast. My Crohn's has been flaring lately and I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to make it through the entire retirement ceremony so to be present for everything was a blessing. There were so many friends and family members there to support Doug which was awesome. He had friends from work, cousins, siblings and ward members there. It was fun to have Zoƫ there even though she didn't want to sit quietly! Doug really wanted a picture of her with the pipes in the background. I wish all the boys, their wives and grandchildren could have been here but it just wasn't possible but we were thankful for Derek and Shelby's support.


After the ceremony we headed to Richard and Joleen's house for lunch with Glade and Carolyn, Beth and Hugh, Derek and Shelby, Brad and Jenny, and Kelly. It was nice to sit and visit. We don't get everyone together often so it was a nice day. It was a bit windy and quite chilly so we ate inside.
No comments:
Post a Comment