Sunday, October 21, 2018

Tucson Trip




I brought along my iPad with plans to write faithfully every night of our trip. Well, best laid plans. This is the third night (at almost midnight) and since I can’t sleep perhaps I can get a few thoughts jotted down.

Sunday the 14th finally came. It seems like months since Chad and family moved away when it’s actually only been about 6-7 weeks. Luckily Doug already had taken time off in October. We had planned on taking a short trip to Moab together. Instead we took a short trip to Tucson because family always wins. We went to Sacrament Meeting together (Doug played hooky from choir) and then I went to help Jerri in the library for a bit before we headed home. Our flight ended up being delayed close to an hour which was frustrating. I made the decision to fly into Phoenix, rent a car, and then drive the two hours to Tucson because it saved us over $600.00. Still, next time, we may fly straight to Tucson. Time and the budget will tell. At any rate, by the time we hit Chad and Anney’s place it was about 7PM. I was tired and hungry and tired! Anney had made us dinner of turkey tacos which she valiantly kept warm for us. It was so good to see them and the long, hard hug from Finley with those arms tight around my neck was worth all the hassle of getting here. I have missed my boy more than I can express.

Our B&B (really just a one bedroom apartment with a kitchenette) is less than a mile from their place which is ideal. Anney saw it one day while on a walk and told me about it. It’s very, very quiet here and very dark. There are no street lights anywhere and without the light pollution the stars and constellations are visible and beautiful. They live near a protected area where no expansion is allowed so the critters are numerous: javelinas, coatis, coyotes, road runners, and all sorts of creepy crawly things. They’re also way out in the boonies so it takes forever to get anywhere.


Monday the 15th we went (sans Chad who had to work) to the Desert Museum. It’s a huge, mostly outdoor, museum of desert life. There are animals, lots of cacti and native plants, pathways, play areas, etc. It was a nice day to go since it wasn’t too hot. We probably only saw a third of it though since it’s so large. We had lunch at the cafe, saw a few more things (petted the rays) and then headed to U of A. Anney dropped us off there so that Chad could take us on a tour of the campus (in his golf cart). It’s a huge campus, spread out with a mixture of old and new. Chad has acclimated well and seems to be enjoying his job. It’s nice to see him happy in his employment. He’s had to endure some less than ideal work situations since graduating with his degree(s) but that’s all part of the learning/growing process. I’m glad he’s found his niche (although I still wish it were in Utah!)
Headed back to their house, picked up Anney and Finley and then back (a long way) to an Indian restaurant for dinner. We spent over three hours in vehicles today just getting to and from places. I could never live here for that reason! Our food was good but it was late and everyone was tired after the late night the night before. Finley fell asleep on the way back from the restaurant.

Tuesday the 16th was a more laid-back day. Anney and Finley walked over to our B&B and we played at the playground in the neighborhood for a while. It was windy and a bit chilly (believe it or not) so we came back to the apartment. Anney had work to do so I took her home and then we just hung around here for a bit while Grandpa and Finley put together the LEGO set I bought him (Kai from Ninjago). Anney wasn’t hungry and still had work so we took Finley to Subway for lunch and then went to the grocery store to get some fruit, yogurt, etc (the provided breakfast items here leave a lot to be desired). We went back to their house and Grandpa and Finley played, Anney worked, and I worked on binding a dolly quilt. After Anney got caught up with work we were able to sit a visit for quite a while. She is such a strong girl (woman!) and I admire her so much. It’s hard to pack up and leave family and friends under the best of situations but this has been a hard year for her with family dynamics and she has persevered with faith and dignity and I so admire her for that. She is truly my daughter of my heart and when she hurts I hurt and when she rejoices I do too. I hope for all the best for her and wish I could make things easier.
After Chad got home we went for dinner at a Polish restaurant (a long way away....). It was good, not spectacular, but good and it was nice to be with family. Finley charmed the waitress and she was so cute with him. We went in separate cars this time (I couldn’t handle another cramped backseat ride with my sore/stiff knee). They left first so they could get their tired boy to bed. We stopped at Albertsons because I forgot half the things I wanted when we stopped at the grocery store this morning. We’re tending Finley tomorrow night while the kids go out so I decided to pick up some things to cook dinner there for the three of us. I really don’t want to go out again and I think Finley will eat better at home and then we can get him to bed at a decent time.


Wednesday the 17th was another quiet day. Every morning we got going a bit later than the morning before but that's okay, that's what vacations are for. We bought a watermelon the day before and decided to cut it up to get it ready for lunch and discovered that it was completely rotten so off I went to Fry's to return it. Of course, nothing is close so that took a while. Doug just stayed and played with Finley while Anney got some work done. While I was at the store I decided to buy some frozen pizzas to cook for lunch so Anney wouldn't have to worry about feeding us. I had another long talk with Anney in the afternoon while Doug entertained Finley. I worked on the second dolly quilt, the one that's going to be a birthday present for Zoe. Finley was funny and kept bringing down his "guys" (stuffed animals) so that they could take naps under the doll quilts. He was having so much fun with them that I decided that I need to make him a small play quilt to go along with the stuffed dragon I'm making him for Christmas. He's a cute little nurturer and I think he'll have fun playing with it. I searched online for a long time before I found a cute dragon print fabric to make it out of (me and my themed gifts...) I already bought a cute dragon book too. 

Anney had bought ingredients for us to make monster cookies that afternoon. Finley was having so much fun with his mommy though that we just kind of stepped back and watched rather than participate. She's a great mom!  Finley was funny and wanted me to take a picture of every cookie as he decorated it. I let him take a few pictures too. It was fun. 



As soon as Chad got home from work the kids left for their date and I started dinner. I had to go with simple so just cooked some pasta, browned some ground turkey and simmered it with some bottled marinara, cooked some frozen green beans, make garlic bread and had the watermelon too. Finley ate fairly well and it was nice to just sit and listen to him talk and talk. He's changed and matured in six weeks. When we saw him daily it wasn't as obvious but I really noticed it this time around. His vocabulary has expanded, his speech is great, and he has quite the imagination!  After dinner Doug and Finley played while I did dishes and then it was time for jammies, stories, song and bed. I loved having that sweet little boy on my lap as we read stories and sang together. Chad and Anney returned home about 15 minutes after we tucked Finley in (they're early risers and wanted to get to bed) so we headed back to the B&B early. That worked out well since we needed to get packed for the morning. Doug had the Temple President mini-concert on Thursday and so needed to wear a white shirt for that so I ironed a shirt for him to wear home. We got everything packed up so the morning would go more smoothly.

We knew we needed to be on the road to Phoenix by about 9AM so we had to get moving much earlier than the other days. We stopped by the house around 8:45 to say goodbye to Anney and Finley. Doug offered to give Anney a blessing which she gratefully accepted. (Finley said he was fine and didn't need one; it was cute!) The tears were already flowing after the blessing but saying goodbye to my boy again was just too much for me this time and I cried even though I was trying to remain stoic for Finley's sake. It was really hard to get in that car and drive away. 

We made good time to Phoenix which was a good thing since the lines at the airport were ridiculous. It took us over an hour to get through TSA security. What a mess in the middle of the day on a Thursday. I texted Anney and warned her that they're going to want to go very early when they're trying to fly out of there the day before Thanksgiving (the busiest travel day of the year). We finally got through and had about 40 minutes before boarding. We each bought a prepackaged salad and ate that before getting on the plane.  When we got to SLC Doug bought a veggie wrap at the airport for his dinner since I needed to just drop him off at Temple Square before I headed home. I got caught in rush hour traffic and it took much longer to get home than I wanted it to. Stopped at Harmon's to get a few necessities and then basically did nothing until bedtime. I was exhausted, physically and emotionally.  It was a great trip and I'm glad we went but it was emotionally draining too. 
One of the most poignant times of the whole trip was when Finley asked me, "Grandma, am I still your boy?"  Even thinking about that brings a tear to my eye. I assured him that yes, he was still my boy and would always be my boy no matter where he lived! What a sweet and deep thinking boy. 

No comments: