Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Change is inevitable (but I don't have to like it)


Monday night, the 30th, I went out for dinner at Olive Garden to Denae, Jerri and Pam to celebrate Pam's birthday on August 1 and mine a few weeks ago. As we were sitting there I got a phone call from Chad saying they were at my house and wondering if I'd be home soon. I explained where I was and what I was doing and that I'd talk to him later. I had an inkling at that time what was coming. About an hour later I got a text from him asking me to call when I got home. By that time I knew for certain what was happening and I was right.  Chad was offered, and accepted, the job in Tucson. I'm thrilled for him but devastated for me. Selfish, right? I was a blubbering mess the rest of the evening and didn't sleep last night. This morning wasn't much better but life goes on. I'm glad that Chad got a job that he really wanted and worked hard to get. I hope he realizes what a blessing that is to him and remembers the source of his many blessings. I'm just praying that things go smoothly for them; that they'll be able to sell their house quickly and be able to find something suitable there so that they can all go down together. I'd hate to see them separated for a time. Families need to be together. Doug has a few days off in mid October and we had planned on driving down to Moab and spending a few days there. Well....change of plans! I've already been checking into flights to Tucson. A 12-hour drive is just too much for us anymore with Doug's back, my knees and hips, etc.

Speaking of Doug's back, it's really been giving him problems for the last few weeks. I think he reinjured it when he lifted Finley up to look at our tall sunflowers. He's had back problems for years and it doesn't take much to aggravate the problem. This time he's had radiculopathy down the left leg though which was worrisome so he called the doctor and amazingly was able to get in that same day (yesterday morning). The good news is that it's not a disc problem, he doesn't need injections or surgeries, x-rays or MRIs. The bad news is that it's a chronic condition that will continue to flare throughout his life. That was discouraging but I'm grateful that he doesn't have to undergo surgery. The doctor prescribed physical therapy with the hopes that the therapist can get the pain to settle down and also teach Doug some exercises, stretches, etc., to help try to prevent further problems occurring as often and also to try to make the exacerbations shorter because he'll have coping techniques. He can'tt get into see the therapist until next Monday. I sure hope it helps!
I had the morning free so made some zucchini brownies (cake), got some spaghetti sauce going in the crock pot, and made a batch of salsa verde. We grew tomatillos for the first time this year and they're very prolific. The sauce was quick and easy to make though. Anney then texted and asked if she could drop Finley off at 12:30 (instead of 3:30). They were planning on going to a movie in SLC tonight and we were going to feed him here and then take him home and tuck him in bed. Well, she's busy with work and now busy trying to get a house on the market, pack, etc so needed to bring him early. We met Doug for an impromptu Walmart parking lot (grassy area) picnic. After Doug went back into work I took Finley over to the park to the splash pad. I hadn't planned ahead and didn't have his swimming suit or a towel so he just went in his clothes. When it's 97 degrees outside clothes dry off quickly. He had fun and it was a good break in the sweltering heat. Came home and played with him in the basement until Doug got home.

It was fun to eat dinner together and listen to this bright little boy talk about things. He was telling us about a library book he had and said "I don't know why my Superman book says 'man of steel' on it. That's not right. They should say 'man of good'."  It took a minute to figure out what he was saying but then it made perfect sense. He knows that to "steal" is bad and he knows that Superman is good and so can't figure out why people are saying that Superman steals. So cute, and so insightful too. I tried to explain steal vs. steel but didn't get far, after all he is only 3!  He ate his dinner well and said "This tastes so good. Thank you grandma for making it for me."  Polite and smart; a great combination!
Took him home and played a rousing game of Candyland before starting the bedtime routine. He wanted Doug to tuck him in this time since I did last time. Such a sweetheart and loved those bedtime hugs from my boy.

No comments: