I've been bottling tomatoes today. One measly little batch and my legs and foot are throbbing. How is it that I used to do my canning for hours on end when I had a growing family? Today's tomatoes will be headed to Dad's house so he can enjoy them for lunch. As I bottled tomatoes I remembered all those Saturdays from years ago when I would get up and start a batch of bread so that when Dad came home at noon there would be fresh scones for him. Our Saturday lunches were simple back then...a quart of tomatoes, a quart of peaches, and a plate of hot scones.
Bottling tomatoes, salsa, spaghetti sauce, pears, peaches, fruit cocktail, cherries, apricots, grape juice, applesauce, etc was a way of life for me not that many years ago. It helped us through those lean years and it was always a wonderful feeling to see those shelves full of freshly bottled produce. Canning is tiring, but it's a good tired and I still maintain that one of my favorite sounds is the "ping" when each bottle seals.
No comments:
Post a Comment