

Tomorrow I will spend the day at the family history library in Salt Lake City pursuing yet another of my passions...genealogy. I love searching and then finding members of my family who lived long ago. As I search through the records and find notations inscribed by a priest who lived 100-300 years ago I lose myself in thinking about that time in history. I wonder what that family member did for a living (rarely is that noted in the records I peruse), I wonder what their town was like and wonder what they did for enjoyment. I sorrow when I read of family who lost three children in an epidemic in their small German town and then become sadder still when I look through the records and see that the town lost dozens of children to that epidemic in a few short months. It makes me so grateful for those priests who faithfully recorded the information and it also makes me grateful to live in a time and place where such epidemics have been eradicated. My ancestors and their choices and sacrifices have made me who I am. I'm looking forward to meeting them some day!
No comments:
Post a Comment