Once again it’s a warm August day and once again part of my heart drove away; this time Derek, Shelby and Zoë to their new adventure in Rochester, New York. It’s been just a year since Chad, Anney and Finley left for their new home in Tucson. I’m beginning to hate August!!
Doug had a bunch of stuff in the truck to take down to Murray for them. The bulk of their belongings have been in the storage unit in Murray and that’s where they were going to load up the moving truck. Derek and Shelby loaded up their new Honda CRV too. I stayed here with Zoë so that she could have a nap and not be under foot during the truck loading process. She woke up sick on Tuesday morning and was still under the weather. I finally left about 4:30 with her in Derek and Shelby’s other car, which was also loaded with stuff. Zoë was not happy about being packed into the car seat with stuff all around her and still felt lousy so it was a hard trip, especially with the rush hour traffic. She was happy as long as I was singing to her so for 60 minutes I sang every children’s song I could think of to keep her happy.
We got to Murray just as they finished loading the truck. They were going to spend the night with Kelli and Randy and then get up and go early in the morning. Kelli and Randi are going with to drive the moving truck. Ashlee, Shelby’s wonderful sister, is taking Zoë on the plane with her back to Maryland where they’ll pick her up in 4-5 days when they get there. A five hour flight with an active toddler sounded better than 5-6 (or more) days in the car with a whining active toddler!
Soon it was time to say goodbye. I’d already been crying on and off for days so wasn’t surprised to start sobbing again as I hugged Derek, Shelby and Zoë goodbye. I’m excited for their new opportunities and glad that they’ll have this time to grow closer together but I’m still sad and will miss them tremendously. This is just so hard. Three sons now in three different states and Doug and I alone here. I’m not looking forward to holidays alone and not having family for Sunday dinners is going to be tough too. I’ve said before that my family is everything to me so I’ll just have to find ways to keep those bonds strong even though we’re separated. In the meantime I think I’ll have a good cry!






No comments:
Post a Comment